An Easy Dinner Recipe for Busy Weekdays
When it comes to meal planning for our family of (almost) seven, my aim is to serve a healthy, balanced meal in as little time and with as few dishes as possible. Sound like a lot to ask for?
With some strategic planning, it is totally possible to get healthy weeknight dinners on the table with minimal time and effort.
Sheet-pan dinners are an easy way to get a balanced meal on the table in no time flat. You can usually use ingredients that you have on hand and customize to your family’s liking.
Whether you’re feeding a big family or meal prepping for later in the week, you can create a delicious and satisfying meal that combines a healthy balance of carbohydrates, protein, and fats in one pan.
For this one-pan meal, the most work you will have to do is chop all your ingredients. Simply combine them together, add your spices, and bake in the oven for a tasty dinner.
This recipe generously feeds our family with leftovers for the next day. Sometimes, I simply serve as is, or I make some extra pasta, rice or quinoa to serve on the side. The ingredients listed are the ones I like to use when I have them, but you can easily make this with whatever vegetables or proteins you have on hand.
Be sure to chop vegetables into similar bite-sized pieces so they cook evenly. Line your baking sheet with foil or parchment paper for even easier clean-up!
Lastly, there are many ways you can involve your kids in the kitchen with this easy weeknight dinner. Kids can help with washing or chopping vegetables, adding seasonings, or mixing everything together.
12 oz. Chicken Sausage, chopped into coin slices (I love the sun-dried tomato or garlic herb sausage from Trader Joe’s, but you can use whatever you like!)
1.5 cups broccoli florets
2 bell peppers, seeded and chopped
2 zucchini, chopped
2-3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
8 oz. sliced mushrooms
2 cups baby red potatoes, quartered
⅓ cup olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
½ teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried parsley
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line your baking sheet with foil or parchment paper
- Make sure sausage and veggies are prepared by chopping into bite-size, uniform pieces
- Place chopped veggies and sausage into a large bowl. Pour olive oil and all spices on top. Mix to coat vegetables and sausage.
- Spread veggie/sausage mix evenly on sheet pan and place in oven.
- Bake for 15 minutes and remove pan from oven. Stir/flip vegetable/sausage mixture and return to oven to bake for an additional 10-15 minutes. Sausage should be browned, and vegetables should be crisped tender once done.
- Garnish with freshly grated parmesan cheese and/or fresh parsley and serve. Enjoy!
What are your favorite, go-to weeknight meals for an easy, healthy dinner?